Sunday, September 7, 2008

Church Hunt Complete!

I know what you are thinking, that wasn't much of a hunt! Despite the short search, we have found a new church home. I have NEVER been to a church as a visitor and had so many people welcome me, talk to me, ask me questions, tell about themselves, and EVERYONE raved at what an amazing community this town and church is. The pastor made a point to come over, introduce himself, meet our kids, and tell us about a children's/family program they have on Wednesday nights. I guess on Wednesday, all the families of kids preschool through 5th grade meet for dinner and they have activities/programs for the kids after dinner. The teacher of the preschoolers came up and introduced herself as well. Now this wouldn't be so surprising if we were the only visitors at a church of 15 or 20, but there were about 100 people and lots of new or newer people. I LOVED IT! The church? It is the Congregational United Church of Christ of Vermillion. Everyone I spoke with (newer people and some who have been there for decades) said it is a really friendly, community oriented church. It seems very focused on living life based on the teachings of Jesus. The pastor is a very high energy, personable, and well educated man. His wife leads the worship service with him as well. When he was talking to us, he was saying you will find people here who will do anything for you. If you need someone to watch your child, if you need a meal, someone to give you a ride- anything! Just call. Having no real family around, that was reassuring to hear. I am telling you, it was incredible. I think the most incredible part was just how down to earth everyone I spoke with was. it wasn't that creepy, "find the new people and hover" feeling. The people seemed geniunely happy to meet us (I know what you are all thinking- they don't know us yet. They will be pushing us back out the door after a couple of weeks, I am sure, but until then, we will enjoy this wonderful community. :))
Anyway, I just had to update you all as soon as we got home. I am very excited if you couldn't tell. :)

4 comments:

Solecki Family said...

awesome...

let us know when you find our replacements...

Amy McNelly said...

Yay! This sounds like a great fit! What a gift to have found such a loving church family. But you know, they are really the lucky ones. They are getting a pretty terrific gift in you guys. :)

Coleen said...

Yippee! I'm so excited to hear the good news! What confirmation that you chose the right town/community!

Unknown said...

Yay!!!!