Sunday, September 14, 2008

Night time prayers

Tonight was one of those moments I just had to stop and write about before I forget. Each night, we pray with Lucas before he goes to bed and we ask him who he wants to pray for. Well, tonight I gave him a few choices, "Do you want to pray for your cousins, your friends at preschool, or the people who were hurt in the train crash?" For those of you who don't know, there was a horrific train crash in Simi Valley on Friday. Lucas chose to pray for the train crash victims and their families. So we prayed and then Lucas got on all fours on his bed and looked down off his bed and said, "Did God do this Mommy?" I wasn't sure what he was doing so I asked him and he said, "Let me get down and show you." He crawled down onto the floor, go on his hands and knees again and pretended to look under his bed. He said, "Did God do this Mommy and look for the people under the train?" This, of course, broke my heart.
I told him, "Yes, God probably did and He probably used people to look for people who were hurt too."
He then asked, "Does God have a big arm, Mommy?" I said, "Yes, God is really big, bigger than our house! he can reach up to the moon."
Lucas then wanted to know, "Where is She (God)?" I think the idea of God being that big was a bit scary, he wanted to know where this big God was. :) I told him that God is everywhere.
"Is He at my church?" he asked. I told him that he was.
He then asked, "Whats one church?"
"He is at all the churches." He is even at our house, but we just can't see him." Keep in mind this is an on the fly conversation so I am trying to come up with answers I could never really explain if I had all the time in the world to think of answers. I told him, "He watches over us and takes care of us. He even made us. He put your ears on the side of your head and put Mommy's eyes on her face." He thought this was hilarious for some reason.
Lucas then asked, "Did God make my arms, Mommy?" I told him that He did.
I the said, "He made all of you really small and put you in Mommy's belly to grow (Great way to bypass a huge subject for the future). When you were big enough, you came out and God continues to help you grow every day to be big."
That about wrapped up the conversation and we moved on. It was the first time he has really asked questions about God, where he is, and how He helps people. It was so amazing to see his mind running. It reminded me of just how out there it all seems. When I try and explain it simply, it is still hard to wrap my mind around it all. Anyway, I had to share this moment as I know they are precious times.
So please take this picture of God on his hands and knees, looking for hurt people under the train and pray for those families hurt by this tragedy. Thank you Lucas for reminding me where God is in the midst of such a horrific event.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Rachel,

Wow. Thank you for Sharing that. Do I have permission to use that story in a sermon?

Matt McNelly

Coleen said...

It makes me so happy to hear that you're enjoying the small town life! :)