Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July on the Palouse

So, we have officially experienced a traditional Pullman 4th of July. When I was asking around about what people do here on the Palouse (I don't know why but that word makes me laugh, people readily use it to talk about this area), everyone told me that we just have to go to the Johnson Parade. Johnson is this tiny town about 10 miles south of Pullman, which I had no idea about. The parade definitely held up to my expectations. There is just nothing like a small town parade or festival. Everyone comes out to watch what the folks of Johnson will pull together this year. If you are a fan of people watching, then this is a must event. It feels like you are going back in time. Here are a few shots of some of my favorite parade entries.

Here is the town marching band. I love that no one is coordinating and that I could have pulled out my recorder and joined in.


If anyone was going to motivate me to vote in the upcoming election it would be this woman and her fancy scooter. Her flower hat screamed 4th of July, I loved it.

The Lentil Festival vehicle was a sad reminder that we will not be attending this year's since we will already have moved. I thank the town of Pullman for introducing me to the lentil, which, to my knowledge, I had never experienced before. Having lived in Pullman, I think it is the quest of all true citizens of the town, to try and incorporate the lentil into as many recipes succesfully as possible. I did my part to live up to that expectation, just ask my family.

These kids are having a hay day on this ferris wheel pulled by a tractor, of course.

No parade is complete without bagpipes and kilts.

Our parade gang!

No comments: