Friday, July 18, 2008

Packing Update

I am on a packing rampage. Anything not moving, gets put in a box. Tomorrow we have our walk through to see what kind of damage we have caused over the past two years, hopefully none. We also pick up our truck and Jake's mom, who will be my sanity as we drive across the country with two children, comes into town. Most things on my extensive "To Do" list (I LOVE lists) are checked off and hopefully by Saturday we can relax a bit before the first day of driving.
Here is a synopsis of our moving Road Trip:
Sunday- Drive to Gardiner, Montana near the northern entrance to Yellowstone. On the way we will be stopping in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, Missoula, Montana, and Bozeman, Montana (at least that is the plan). We get to have lunch with my Freshmen/Sophmore Year College Roommate, which will be fun!
Monday- We take a day to see some of Yellowstone. I am very excited since none of us have been there. Jake and I decided to try to see all of the National Parks together so this will be our first one to check off.
Tuesday- Our 8th Anniversary will be spent driving to Rapid City, South Dakota through Montana and Wyoming. Can you think of anything more romantic than to have Jake driving a huge moving truck while I am trapped in a car with the kids? Good times.
Wednesday- Quick trip to see Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Monument and then off to Vermillion! On the way, we are planning to take in two of South Dakota's hot spots- First, we will be stopping at Wall Drug. For those of you who shockingly have not heard of this place, supposedly it is a must see. I don't really get it actually. It has been described to me as a giant souvenir shop. Does that sound appealing at all?There is a website (walldrug.com) I am going to have to research. The next stop will be the Corn Palace. I really have no idea what is inside or what there is to do there but I have been told we just have to stop! Here is a little taste to wet your whistle:

World's Only Corn Palace

World's Only Corn Palace

Established in 1892, the World’s Only Corn Palace was conceived as a gathering place for city and rural residents to enjoy a fall festival. The palace, located in Mitchell, was also meant to showcase the area harvest and prove the fertility of the South Dakota prairie.

The current building is the third since 1892, completed at the present location in 1921. The murals on the building’s exterior are designed by local artists, one of which was renowned artist Oscar Howe, who designed the murals from 1948 through 1971. The Corn Palace is redecorated each year with a variety of South Dakota grains and grasses.

Anyway, we decided since we are soon to be South Dakotans we need to experience it all. Watch, a year from now, I will be trying to lure people to visit with promises to visit these places!

We will be moving in to our new home Thursday and we are, of course, thrilled! Hopefully some of you will be brave enough to make a trip out to see us, we would love to see you!

I can not believe all this will be happening in just a few days. We will definitely miss the friends we have made here in Pullman. They have been so wonderful to us in many ways. Hopefully we will stay in touch over the years.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I was recently going through some of my dad's pictures and there, right in the middle, were quite a few pictures of the Corn Palace! I hope it as all it was cracked up to be!